Genesis 9 has a lot going on! So go read it if you haven’t
already.
First thing God does is tell Noah to be fruitful and
increase in number. God wants the earth refilled with man. God also puts fear
into the animals of man. Then God tells Noah that animals are a source of food
just as the plants have been. But God says that no animal shall be eaten with
its lifeblood still in it. What does that mean?? I thought I knew but I went on
a little search to make sure I understood it. Basically what it says that
animals are not to be eaten or cooked while still alive, which brings to mind
crabs and lobsters. They are placed ALIVE in boiling pots of water. I have no
idea how long they live in that. The point of this was to keep animals from
suffering. Their death is supposed to be quick and as painless as possible.
I’m think maybe I shouldn’t eat crab anymore. There are also
other countries that will eat monkey brain while the monkey is still alive.
Though, I have only heard that and I do not know for myself. It is rather
disturbing and sad. Monkeys are so cute!
Now we get to the part about the rainbow. The rainbow is a
sign of God’s promise to never flood the earth again. The rainbow is to remind
us and God of his promise. How awesome and beautiful is that?
After all is said and done we get into life moving on from
the flood. Noah is “a man of the soil”
so he plants a vineyard. For those that don’t know, a vineyard is a bunch of
plants growing grapes which is then used to make wine. Noah makes some wine and
drinks it and becomes drunk. Noah pretty much passes out in the nude in his
tent. His son Ham found him. Instead of covering his father Ham went and told
his brothers what he saw. His brothers then came in with their backs turned to
their father and covered him. Once Noah wakes up he becomes angry and curses
Canaan, Ham’s son so that he is now a slave to his brothers.
Canaan is the first slave ever! Do you understand why? I actually
talked to my mom to understand it. I can understand Noah wanting to punish
someone for his embarrassment. Ham could have been kind to his father and
covered him with out ever telling his brothers. I didn’t understand why Noah
cursed Ham’s son Canaan. Talking to my mom she reminded me of something my
preacher once said. He said something about how we are all paying for our parent’s
sin. I guess this is just the first time we actually see that come into play. It
makes sense to me.
The last few lines of Genesis 9 is of how long Noah lived.
He lived 950 years before he died. It’s actually kind of sad to see the end of
Noah. He is such a great figure in the bible and Noah’s ark is one of the few
stories I actually knew of the bible!
Tomorrow in Genesis 10 we will learn more of Noah’s sons! It
sounds exciting to me. So go read it!
Much Love,
Heather