Monday, July 23, 2012

Genesis 1


Let's get this started. I have had this blog sitting, waiting to be used. I let other things get in the way of it. So I have to suck up my laziness and get it going. I will start with one chapter a day. There are days I may get more, just depends on the time that I have. Though, I am going to try and get ahead on the weekends. So, here we go!

Genesis 1

The first chapter of Genesis is easy! Most people know all the things that God created. We know that He created the heavens and the earth and then he said "let there be light!" And there was light and God saw it as good.  Then he separated light from darkness and made day and night. Bam! You have the first day. Call me weird or strange but I can see God smiling a huge smile and his arms crossed at his chest admiring his work for that day. I know I would be doing exactly that.

Then the chapter goes on to the rest of the six days that God spent creating all of what we have today. I will list it because I am not rewriting the Bible, just summarizing. 

Day 2 - God separated the waters of heaven from the waters of earth. And called the space between, Sky. I say waters of heaven but I could be wrong in my understanding of this part. Correct me if I am wrong or let me know if you think differently. (That is the point of this) 

Day 3 part 1 - God separated the water and put dry ground between it. Land and Sea!

Day 3 part 2 - God made the land produce vegetation. Plants with seeds according to its kind as well as trees with fruit according to its kind. I always think of Johnny Appleseed when I read this part. I'm not sure why... Also, God had a super busy day on day 3!
Day 4 - This is how I understand the fourth day. God created two "great lights" for day and night, I think of the sun and moon. He also created the stars, which in my opinion are the greatest things ever! 

Day 5 - This is the fun day! That is, in my opinion anyways. God creates all the creatures of the sea and birds! Finally something that moves. Motion is given to the earth. Sure, plants are living and breathing, in an odd sort of way, but they are still, never moving. Now there are fish in the sea and birds in the sky. I think if I was God it would be one of my favorite days of creation. 

Day 6 - Now, God fills the land with wild animals and livestock. I always wondered if all the animals that we see now are the same ones as the ones put here on the sixth day. I mean, I know when I make things in Photoshop or build a new website I am always going back and adding things. I wonder if God did the same thing.

Also on the sixth day God created mankind. Now, something that confuses me...in the bible it says in verse 27: "So God created mankind in his own image, in the image of God he created them; male and female he created them." My question, does this mean God created more than just Adam at first, but only put Adam in Eden, or is this just a premonition of sorts of what is to come?  Any opinions are appreciated.

I will remind you; this is MY summary of what I have read. These are MY opinions and thoughts. I am not saying anything other than what I think. I could be wrong in my way of thinking. But that is why this is here. To help others and myself understand what we are reading. 

Your task is to read Genesis 1 and then give your own opinion. Then read Genesis 2 because that is tomorrow!

Much Love,
Heather