It is time to move into all the little details that no one
wants to know. I find chapters like these really boring and I don’t feel bad
for saying it because I know a lot of people think so.
Welcome to Genesis 5. This chapter takes us from Adam all
the way to Noah. Why? Because it’s kind of awesome to know where Noah came
from. I will try to get through this as quickly and as painfully as possible.
The reason I want to go through this is because I love to see how long people
lived back in the “Bible Age.”
Adam was 130 before Eve gave birth to Seth. Can you imagine
living that long and then having a child?? Altogether Adam lived 930 years!
Some people say that the years and months were not as long as what we have
today. Some say that there was only 10 months in a year, but even then 930
years is still a super long time. I like to imagine that these people really
did live a long time. If you think about it, Adam and Eve had a direct line to
God so maybe God just kept them around longer then. I always think of Sims (yes
the game.) In Sims3 you can prolong your characters life by changing the
settings. So I can have one game where my Sims live forever and another game
where they hardly live at all. I am sure if God wanted to He could do the same
thing, only…in reality. And you have to imagine that God had a fond attachment
to Adam and Eve, seeing as they were the first people.
Sorry for the rambling, let’s continue.
Seth lived 912 years and had
Enosh
Enosh lived 905 years and had Kenan
Kenan lived 910 years and had Mahalalel
Mahalael lived 895 years and had Jared
Jared lived 962 years and had Enoch
Enoch is where things become just a tad different. Enoch
lived 365 years, but Enoch walked with God and did not die. God took him home.
He was just no more on earth. Unlike the rest who left a body behind, at least
that is what I take from this.
Enoch had Methuselah
Methuselah lived 969 years and had Lamech
Lamech lived 777 years and had Noah. When Noah was born
Lamech said “He will comfort us in the labor and painful toil of our hands
caused by the ground the Lord has cursed” (Genesis 5:29) I’m not really sure
what that means. I only know that Noah is the one who built the ark and was
such a good listener of God he saved men from being wiped out completely.
Yay Noah!! Noah was 500 years old before he had Shem, Ham,
and Japheth. I wonder, were these sons triplets? Or just really close in age?
It doesn’t really say in my bible. Though, I guess since it doesn’t really say,
it’s not that important.
Now, this chapter has other awesome ages, like the ages that
these men where before they had their first child. The youngest was 65
And that is it my friends. Genesis 5 comes to an end.
Hopefully you didn’t get to bored and actually see how interesting the
Genealogy chapters can be. It’s interesting to see the line of Noah going back
to Adam or seeing Adam’s line going all the way to Noah. What I find the most
interesting though is the ages of these people when they finally died. I wonder
if the women lived as long.
I shall stop with my rambling now and let you go on with
your day or night…See you folks tomorrow!