Today we will be discussing Genesis 6 which is where we meet
Noah. So, if you have read it already then continue on. If you have not been
doing your homework then go read Genesis 6 and come back. I will wait.
Genesis 6 starts off by talking about the destruction of
man. The angels start noticing the daughters of men and decided to marry them.
God basically says in verse 3 that the angels blood and human blood mixing is
not going to turn out well and he says that man will live for 120 years.
When I first read this I thought that God was saying the
life expectancy of any one person was now only 120 years. But after doing a
little bit of research I actually found out that he is saying the world had 120
years before the flood. I was actually a little shocked and enlightened when I
read that. It made so much more sense then what I thought because there are
people past the flood that lived well over 120 years.
Any ways, when an angel and a human have a child they call
it Nephilim. If you have been following the latest trends in books you will
know that a lot of books focus now on Nephilim and fallen angels. I was just a
little (a lot!) excited when I saw that Nephilim were actually real! They are
also the reason that people started creating the myths of the Greek gods. They
were actually real too! Only, not gods. They were half angel and half human so
they were stronger and likely prettier than other humans.
Men became even more corrupt and God actually started
regretting that he had created men. How crazy is that? But it wasn’t just man
that God decided to wipe out. He wanted to get rid of it all! Everything he had
created except the earth itself. If it moved God wanted it gone.
But then there was Noah. Noah and God were pretty tight.
They were like best buds. You get the picture right? Noah was a good man. He
did everything he should and he listened to God. So God tells Noah that he is
going to wipe out everyone, BUT he wants to keep Noah and his family.
Now, God is a straight up kind of guy. He knows what He
wants and He gets it. God tells Noah to build an ark and He tells Noah how to
build it. How big to make it, how many floors and rooms and even what kind of
wood to use! All Noah had to do was build it. Then He tells Noah what to fill
it with. Two of each kind of animal and two of every bird and of course plenty
of food.
My brother had mentioned once how he didn’t believe the
whole ark thing because of the animals. He questioned how all those animals
could live on the boat without killing each other. I imagine they were all in
separate rooms. Also, they were doing as God told them. Animals don’t question
God’s word. They just do it. Maybe we should take a lesson from animals and
Noah? I think we would all be a lot happier then.
I have seen stories about Noah and his ark. It always showed
how Noah questioned what God wanted him to do and how he tried to get others to
help but no one believed what Noah was telling them. None of that actually
happened. Noah didn’t even bat an eye when God told him what to do. He did it
just as God told him. I wonder where those stories come from…I think it could
have been made to show how wicked the world had become, but who really knows.
And that is it for Genesis 6. I have to say, it was one of
my favorites to type so far.
Don’t forget to read the next chapter! Genesis 7. We finally
get to the flood!
Much Love,
Heather