Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Genesis 7


I would like to think we are making our way through the bible quite nicely. It’s going to be a slow progress. If one chapter a day is not quick enough for you, then by all means, I encourage you to read ahead. Read it and soak it in. The only way we are going to get through the ups and downs of life is to keep the word of God close to our hearts. Let’s continue with our study.

Today we have Genesis 7. While reading this I have noticed that people tend to leave things out when they speak of the bible. Remember in Genesis 6 when God told Noah to take two of every kind of bird and two of every kind of creature that moved on the earth? Well, there is more to that and you will see that first thing in Genesis 7.

God tells Noah to go into the ark with his family. Then He also says to take seven kind of clean animal, a male and its mate. Two of every kind of unclean animal, a male and it’s mate. And seven of every kind of bird, a male and it’s mate.

It makes sense really. God’s number is 7. I am a little confused as to what a clean and unclean animal is though. I am also confused as to why this is kept bible study. All my life I have been told that Noah only took two of each kind of animal and bird. But, I guess this is why we should read the bible for ourselves right?

Ponder on that for a while. The lesson we take from this; never take someone’s word for it. Go read the bible yourself. J
As we move through what God has to say to Noah, God says to Noah that in seven days He will make it rain for forty nights and forty days. That is a long time for it to rain! I get worried about when it rains for a whole day and my yard becomes super flooded.

Noah, being the awesome follower of God that he was, did just as God asked and didn’t even stop to think about it. It’s funny that just from reading the first few chapters of Genesis we already know what we should be doing. If we disobey God we are only hurting ourselves. But if we listen to Him and do as He says, we will be the ones on the ark as God prepares to wipe out everything else on earth. Think about that for a moment.

Noah was 600 years old when God flooded the earth! Do a little math, God said that man had 120 years before he flooded the earth. So Noah was already 380 years old when God made the decision. AMAZING! Can you imagine being able to build a massive boat at such an old age?

God sent all the animals to Noah, all he had to do was load them into the boat and he had to do this in 7 days. I am sure people think of it as chaotic, but I always imagined the animals lining up perfectly waiting to be lead into the ark. It’s a beautiful picture. A small picture of God’s great power. We are even told when the flood happened!

“In the six hundredth year of Noah’s life, on the seventeenth day of the second month – on that day all the sprins of the great deep burst forth, and the floodgates of the heavens were opened.” Genesis 7:11

The water rose so high that it covered even the highest mountains and they were 20 feet and more underwater. I don’t know about you but I have a bit of a fear of open waters. Imagining looking out of my window on the ark and seeing nothing but water…it’s kind of freaky! There is no dry land left. It is all underwater, just as God planned. All creatures, including man, that walked the earth was no gone, except those that had been saved by the ark. Only 8 people left in the entire world. I wonder if Noah or any one with him realized how alone they were.

Once the forty days and forty nights were over the rain stopped. But the earth stayed flooded for 150 days.

And that is all that Genesis 7 has to say. What used to be a world full of hate, anger, destruction and wickedness had been wiped away in what seems like moments. And all it took was a decision by God to rid the world of the ugliness. Remember that next time you are talking about someone.

Now, go read the next chapter. What happens after the flood?

Much Love,
Heather